Thursday, March 6, 2008

Devil's Tower, Chapter Two


The clouds parted before us as we drew near the Park entrance. Soon we were at the base of the Tower, racking up. 5 can be an awkward number, especially when dealing with post equinox daylight hours and starting after 11 am.

We broke up into 2 parties. Lindsay, Joel and Mark swapped leads up the Durrance Route, while I followed Peter up Sundance. The two routes converge a pitch or two from the top.

I liked this plan for a couple of reasons. One, I had wanted to climb with Peter ever since meeting and climbing briefly with him at Skeletal Remains a few years ago. Two, I had this whack notion that I didn’t want my first climb on the Tower to be the Durrance route, because everybody climbs it. The thing I forgot to remember is that sometimes everybody climbs certain routes because the routes are really cool.

No comments: