Friday, September 28, 2007

Pantsplitter on a Hot June Day


Mark's at the summit, but wait, the summit is only the middle of the climb. How fortunate for me, I get to do my first gear lead on toprope. And I only need one piece. There was no hiding from the sun on this climb. And I did want to.

Mark and I hiked in with Lindsay to look for the complement to Even Steven, Uneven Steven, a Conn route she was looking for. These routes are in the neighborhood of Calamity Peak. The easiest access is accross private land, which we had permission to enter. We stopped to talk to a neighbor who was painting a fence. Trim and elderly, grey hair in a bun, she told us the first time she had clambered up Calamity Peak was in her patent leather shoes and Sunday dress when she was about 6. She said she'd spent a lot of time climbing around those rocks. When Lindsey asked if she'd used ropes she said, "Aww no, I'm from around here."

No comments: